Early in 1946 a Realtor from Downey California, Samuel M. Dudlext, came to Desert Hot Springs. He bought the drug store building located on the west side of Palm Drive just south of Pierson Blvd. Sam had been a Rotarian and Past President of the Downey Club. While on the desert he made up at the Palm Springs Club.
About that same time a Frank P. Kibbey from Laguna Beach came to Desert Hot Springs. Frank had been in the restaurant business in Laguna and a member of the Lion’s Club. Frank bought the Idle Hour Cafe on the west side of Palm Drive just north of Pierson Blvd. Frank was a Past President of the Lion’s Club.
Sam and Frank felt the need for a service club in Desert Hot Springs. To decide whether is was Rotary or Lions, with the flip of a coin it became Rotary.
The Palm Springs Club sponsored the new club.
Charter night was held December 5, 1947 in the patio of the Idle Hour Cafe. Charter members were:
Samuel M. Dudlext, President
Frank P. Kibbey, Vice-president
Ralph E.K. Jones, Secretary/treasurer
Howard R. Claxton, Director
Lawrence W. Coffee, Director
John L. Haidet, Director
Richard E. Launer, Director
Richard A. Maher, Director
Paul A. Price, Sergeant at arms
Joseph H. Bailer, Glen Backhart, Albert A. Burrow, Clarence C. Covey, Lane W. Crossley, Paris P. Dills, George Ellis, Albert M. Elton, Frank P. Gautiello, Donald F. Hinkley, Albert F. Todd, Charles A Wise
Rotary International President: S. Kendrick Guernsey (Jacksonville, Florida)
District 108 Governor: John L. Fox, San Diego